Saturday, April 21, 2012

Facing one of my biggest fears....

I am going to be completely honest. I HATE EXERCISE.....always have, but can't complete the sentence with "always will."  Four days ago, I took the big plunge and JOINED A GYM!
I chose this gym because my brother and sister-in-law come here and they like it!  Now, I must admit, staying fit IS NOT cheap but when it comes to my health and how long I plan on sticking around for my kids, IT IS WORTH THE PRICE OF GOLD!!!!

This is a smaller gym, with a very intimate setting.  Lots of stair climbers, lots of treadmills, lots of stationary bikes and lots of weights!!!  There is even a boxing ring in the gym, to replace the pool.  Here, you don't do the regular kick boxing classes...you, FOR REAL, box.  I must say, I am still intimidated by it :)

There is a sound proof yoga room with a waterfall wall that I look forward to using this week, hopefully with my sister-in-law and BFF.  And on a side note, it smells FANTASTIC in there.

The locker room, to be completely honest, is what sold me...no stinky smelling, typical locker room like in high school or the local YMCA.  Painted in a beautiful turquiose color with non-traditional gym decor...
Fully equiped with a dry sauna room and a steam room, I look forward to my workout EVERYDAY!!!  Now I am sure that the novelty will wear off, but TODAY, I am loving every moment in there. 

I even reached out to a former co-worker who is a fitness freak (*and a college graduate in fitness*) and come meet with Debbie & I to give us a few pointers on weight/strength training.  P.S.  I am feeling that today, which is the 2nd day after!!  Good job Kyle!

I look at this whole experience as a second chance of life.  To obtain the ideal weight that I have never been able to be and to set an EXAMPLE for my kids, which is the most important.  I would never want my daughter to ever experience the misery I had through my younger years because I was overweight.  People can be mean as kids, and sometimes even worse as adults.

So, everyday I go to that gym, I ignore the stares (*because I am usually the biggest one in there*) and snickers and do the do!  No one knows the battle that I have fought thus far and that I continue to fight every day.  I put in the work because in the big picture, I know that I am trying.  I am not looking for anyone's acceptance, except that of me!  I am learning, SLOWLY, that I AM WORTH IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment